WYPSA Family Retreat 2001
- Compiled by Simon Chan
(This page contains Big5 Chinese)
A Creed for Those Who Suffered
A Butterfly's Lesson MS PowerPoint (.pps file)
Click here to view Slide Show
Hope - by Caesar Lun
Theme: HOPE - by Simon Chan
- What am I hoping for?
- What are my desires?
- Why do I get out of bed in the morning?
What is Hope? - a human perspective (by
Fr William F Lynch S.J. - Images of Hope: Imagination as Healer of hopeless)
Hope imagines for a way out of a difficulty or a wider
perspective of life
- The nature of Hope
- Is to imagine what has not yet come but still is
- Is our Expectation & Desire combined
- Hope imagines the Real vs day dreaming
- Imagination forms a mental image of external
object not present to the sense
Hope & Help
- Hope can wait - like a child - stick it out; that something
will happen and I can in some way influence that. May be hang on.
- Imagination helps us find a method, a way out.
Hope goes into action through WISHING
- Hope can only be achieved with another one or
group. It occurs with others - man or God. E.g. our kids/next generation
- Wishing is central to Hope
- Believe in the details - take the next step
- Be aware "What's the use?" - can be negative: Despair,
Hope - a spiritual perspective
- 望德 (Hope as in Faith, Love, Hope)
- Hope is the theological virtue by which we desire the Kingdom
of heaven and eternal life as our happiness, placing our
trust in Christ's promises and relying not on our own strength, but on the
help of the grace of the Holy Spirit.
- Believe Christ loves us/die for us hence share the Heaven with
- Hope to come to Heaven
- Christian Hope unfolds from the beginning of Jesus' preaching
in the proclamation of the Beatitudes
- Hope is expressed and nourished in prayer, especially in the
prayer "Our Father", the summary of everything that Hope leads us to
Quotes from participants
- Hope is an attitude ("Hunters?story" - as wolf's food or a
million dollar to hunt)
- Hope is related to our ideal, is like a star that guides our
way through life.
- Hope for the best we can possibly get for ourselves of course,
also for the best for our family, our society, our country and our
international community. A true understanding of life is the only way to
ensure our hope for the best is not built on quicksand or is but ephemeral
and illusive. Only education can achieve this kind of understanding,
particularly education in humanities and social sciences.
- Hope for the best and prepare for the worst
- Think Globally; act locally.
- Dare to imagine - What can be imagined can be achieved. (from
- 人到無求品自高 - 知足常樂
- When God close one door, He opens another door.
- Hope is the source of energy, action. There is different wishes
in different stages of life, and requires continual refinement (不斷修正)
- 希望小, 失望小 -人到無求無所失
- Hope is "injected" from the above
- I wake up everyday in the morning "For the Greater Glory of God" - A.M.D.G.
Every participant left the Xavier House
with more Hope, a happier "man".